Image permission and credit:
The distant view at left shows Sint Jacob's church in The Hague, and is taken from a drawing by Aelbert Cuyp in the Teylers Museum, Haarlem(1), but the landscape is almost certainly by Jacob Cuyp. The painting was photographed in 1928 when it was owned by the dealer J. Rochelle Thomas in London. This reproduction shows the tail of the dog curving into the painting and a pentiment is visible in this area. The signature and date reported in an advertisement of 1928- JG cuyp fecit 1646 is no longer visible.
The two dogs also appear in Aelbert Cuyp's large painting of Orpheus of c.1645 (Marquess of Bute), which further suggests that the father and son collaborated on several paintings and certainly shared drawings.
1. First noted by Reiss, Dordrecht 1977-1978, number 47
Dealer J.Rochelle Thomas, London, (1928)
Butler collection, England
Dordrecht, Dordrechts Museum, Jacob Gerritz Cuyp (1594-1651/2) - Nestor of the Dordrecht Painters, 7 June-15 September 2002, catalogue number 31
S. Reiss, Aelbert Cuyp, London 1975, number 49
Dordrecht, Aelbert Cuyp en zijn familie: Schilders te Dordrecht, exhibition catalogue, Dordrechts Museum, Dordrecht 1977-1978, by J.M. de Groot, W. Veerman, J.G. van Gelder, page 126
A. Chong, Aelbert Cuyp and the Meanings of Landscape, diss., New York University, New York 1992, page 545
Jacob Gerritz Cuyp (1594-1651/2)- Nestor of the Dordrecht Painters, Dordrechts Museum 2002, pages 144, 180, illustrated page 145 and in detail page 166-7, catalogue raisonné number 78